January 13, 2013 by eatfreak
Ahhhh Yum Cha. Quite possibly one of my favourite food experiences. I remember as a child I hated the slippery steamed seafood-based items but now as an adult I LOVE them! Go figure. Sydney has a host of yum cha restaurants to choose from, however I do believe it is the lesser-known Golden Unicorn which has been my favourite so far.
I always find it hard to blog about yum cha because I am too ignorant to know the names of many of the foods, and the lack of menu means that I can’t study up. So I’d rather let the photos do the talking and share some Golden Unicorn reflections instead. These are:
- Golden Unicorn has a really good range of items. I hate it when the yum cha trolleys seem to be on a rotation system showing you the same items every time. You never know what’s going to be under the bamboo lid at Golden Unicorn.
- They do a great sticky rice. Although I much prefer the banana leaf wrapped version then the sticky rice ball version in the photo below
- You can order items directly with the waiter if your char siew bun/sticky rice/siu mai/(insert item here) has not done the trolley rounds
- I have never had to wait at Golden Unicorn unlike some of the city based establishments
- The chicken feet on this particular occasion were rather large. I just had to take a photo of my darling Eat Freak with one freakishly large foot
- Pricing is reasonable. We usually $20-25 pp and often feel like rolling away from the table after having eaten so much. But don’t order the soft drinks! At $5 a pop you feel very hard done by as you could have ordered 4 dumplings for that price!
- Decent service. For yum cha (if you get what I mean)
- There are a lot of Asian faces around so it must be good right?
Return Factor? Well the stats speak for themselves. I’ve probably been to yum cha ten times during 2012 and seven of those meals were at Golden Unicorn. So definitely worth a try.